Mechanical Engineering is an engineering discipline that involves the application of principles of analysis, design, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems. It requires a solid understanding of key concepts including mechanics, kinematics, thermodynamics and energy. Mechanical engineers, use these principles and others in the design and analysis of automobiles, aircraft, heating & cooling systems, manufacturing plants, industrial equipment and machinery, medical devices and more.
Mechanical engineering is one of the oldest and most essential branches of engineering, without which any industry cannot function. Mechanical engineering students are trained in various areas including production, industrial engineering, R & D, refrigeration & air conditioning, power generating machines such as electricity generators, internal combustion engines, steam and gas turbines, jet and rocket engines, robots, hydraulic systems, measurement devices, product maintenance and materials handling systems etc. CAD/CAM courses assist the students designing components with greatest possible efficiencies. Mechanical Engineering is the broadest and most diverse engineering discipline. Not many people can perform their jobs without Mechanical Engineers. The comprehensive course curriculum and intensive practical training enables students to take on the challenges of broad ranging roles in various departments across a wide spectrum of industries.
The department is committed to produce dedicated engineers, who are competent enough to fulfill technological and social needs of the nation.
- To impart quality education in the area of Mechanical Engineering and provide skillful training to faculty, staff and students.
- To bridge the industry academia gap by providing domain specific knowledge that suits the industrial requirements.
- To inculcate the feeling of integrity with humanity in the minds of students to serve the society for betterment.
- To create supportive environment for self-learning
Program Educational Outcomes
- Preparation: To prepare the students to excel in industry/ technical profession through quality education.
- Core competence: To equip students with a strong foundation in Mechanical Engineering in order to analyze and solve problems in their professional career and higher studies.
- Breadth: To train the students with multidisciplinary approach for broadening their ability to design and develop products which eases the real life problems of society.
- Professionalism: To make the students professionally developed and enriched with ethical values in order to make them responsible citizen
- Learning environment: To provide students with conducive academic as well as social environment in which they can express their inherent abilities to pursue successful professional career
What the students learn in mechanical engineering
- statics & dynamics
- strength of materials & solid mechanics
- instrumentation and measurement
- thermodynamics, heat transfer, energy conversion, and refrigeration / air conditioning
- fluid mechanics/fluid dynamics
- mechanism design (including kinematics and dynamics)
- manufacturing technology or processes
- hydraulics & pneumatics
- engineering design
- Mechatronics and/or control theory
- Drafting, CAD (usually including Solid modelling), and CAM.